Level 2 NVQ in Interior Systems – Ceiling Fixing
NVQ Interior Systems Qualification Overview
The Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Interior Systems (Ceiling Fixing) qualification has been developed for delivery in a working environment; this means you need to be employed to study this qualification. It has been designed to develop and recognise your skills, knowledge and competence so that you can work in Ceiling Fixing Fixing within the construction industry or progress onto further learning.
The learner will learn key practical skills and knowledge in these mandatory units:
- Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
- Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace
- Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace
- Installing Ceiling Fixing Systems in the Workplace
- Installing plasterboard linings in the Workplace
There are Level 2 NVQ Certificates in this occupational area:
- Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Interior Systems – Ceiling Fixing
- Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Interior Systems – Dry Lining Finishing
- Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Interior Systems – Dry Lining Boarder
- Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Interior Systems – Cavity Barrier Installation
This qualification supports the Learner to attain enabling, fundamental and transferable practical skills with associated underpinning knowledge. Although part of an apprenticeship, this qualification is available outside of an apprenticeship, where either the learner’s circumstances prevent them undertaking a full apprenticeship; or where their prior skills and knowledge mean they do not require all components of the apprenticeship. In addition, industry will accept the qualification on its own as entry to a job role.
This qualification is supported by the Finishes & Interior Sector (FIS).
It is also endorsed by the sector body for construction – CITB. The qualification has been accredited onto the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and is published on Ofqual’s Register of Qualifications.
What you’ll learn
As an NVQ approved assessment centre, ATS can offer NVQ on Site Assessment (OSAT) to those of you who have underpinning qualifications or who have been working within the construction industry for less than 5 years and who have reached a level of competence which falls in line with NVQ Occupational Standards.
OSAT: NVQ Route – On Site Assessment for Interior Systems – Ceiling Fixing with less than 5 years’ experience
If you have underpinning qualifications or have spent less than 5 years Ceiling Fixing , there is a route to achieving NVQ level 2.
We have our own Assessors and Internal Verifiers, all of whom are City & Guilds and Construction Skills approved. As long as you are working within the Construction Industry, we can come and assess you on site.
In order to qualify and register for this Interior Systems – Ceiling Fixing NVQ, the following criteria must be met:
- You must work within a 80 mile radius of Reading – Postcode: RG7
- You will need to be employed in a role that is related to Ceiling Fixing .
These qualifications (NVQs) focus on practical skills and knowledge. Developed and approved by people who work in the industry, they are a great way to get into construction or to boost your career by developing new skills and knowledge through the assessment of work based competence.
How you’ll learn
Ceiling Fixing NVQ Assessment process
The process will start with an interview between you and your assessor whereby an action plan and timetable will be drawn up.
You will be required to gather and record evidence as indicated on your assessment plan and you would benefit from a work based recorder (Supervisor or foreman); this will help to confirm work which you have undertaken which an Assessor was unable to be present at.
Assessments will be at your work place whereby we will be observing you at work Interior Systems – Ceiling Fixing ; we will examine and discuss any evidence you have provided. An assessor will sign off completed units, where sufficient quality and quantity has been provided, any shortfalls of evidence will be discussed and any training requirements identified. In between visits, you will continue to generate further evidence.
Evidence can include:
- observation report by assessor
- professional discussion
- witness testimony
- candidate product
- record of oral and written questioning
- Recognition of Prior Learning
The units required to achieve 603/0291/4 Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Interior Systems (Construction) – Ceiling Fixing are:
- M/508/653 : Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
- T/508/6538 : Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace
- J/615/1239 : Installing suspended ceiling systems in the workplace
- Y/508/6533 : Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace
- R/615/1244 : Erecting fire resisting ceiling systems in the workplace
There is no time scale on achieving a Ceiling Fixing NVQ. If your line of work allows, NVQs can be achieved in a relatively short space of time however, if the Ceiling Fixing work you are doing is restricted or repetitive, the NVQ process can take longer because the opportunity to meet all of the required NVQ units will not be available to you.
Courses Open To You After
Once you have achieved NVQ level 2 via this route, you may wish to consider being assessed on-site to achieve level 3 at a later date.
OSAT for Employers
OSAT is a method of delivering NVQs for experienced workers within the Construction Industry which meets the needs of both the industry and individuals.
Programmes are designed to assess individuals in their normal working environment as the focus is on what individuals do in their normal working environment so therefore the benefit to Companies are:
- There is no downtime because Ceiling Fixing Assessments are carried out on site
- More qualified and competent employees generate a higher quality product
- Employees complete work faster and waste less time correcting mistakes
- Creates greater awareness of health and safety issues which means there are fewer accidents
The benefits to individuals are:
- Helps workers achieve vital skills so they achieve CSCS cards quickly and easily
- Takes account of existing skills so workers only train towards the things they don’t know how to do
- Achieves Ceiling Fixing qualifications to show to potential customers
OSAT and CSCS
An increasing number of companies, contractors and clients are looking for operatives and employees to prove their competence via the CSCS card and working towards or achieving the Ceiling Fixing NVQ will allocate the following:
Red Card – EXPERIENCED WORKER – Registration will take place at profiling stage and as long as you sit/have sat a Construction Skills health and safety test, this card will be generated. The card is issued on a temporary basis, while the NVQ is being achieved. The card is valid for one year and is non-renewable. An Experienced Worker Card cannot be replaced by a Construction Site Operative or a Basic Skills Green Card.
Blue Card – SKILLED WORKER – You will qualify for a blue skilled card once you have successfully completed the EWPA process and achieved the NVQ level 2
All applicants must pass the Construction Skills health and safety test.
To find out more about NVQs and our other courses, please click here.
For more general enquiries about NVQs, please click here.